Monday, April 8, 2013

Growing up "none"


An ordained minister relates what it was like growing up "none," with no church affiliation at all, and why she became a Christian (link).

Since "nones" are fastest-growing religious category in America today, we'd better learn what's behind it. I thought this insight was to the point:
"I never went to any of those churches [that tried to make Christian faith easy]. Instead I went to the places that didn't try to make it easy. I found the ones that didn't dumb it down. I didn't want answers or to be entertained. I wanted to wrestle with the big questions. I wanted to worship in authentic community. I wanted to make the hard choices that faith demands. I wanted to follow Jesus. And I wanted a church that would show me how to do that. 
And at the end of the day, I think a lot of "nones" might like that too."
Yep.